The portfolio book Clairvoyant, published by Revue K in connection with the 2012 exhibition of photogravure etchings by Peter Miller in France, includes 14 beautifully printed images from the exhibition. Designed by the distinguished artist and publisher Roman Kames in Paris, and printed in Prague on 200-gram Tintoretto paper, Clairvoyant has an Introduction by Jean-Yves Couteau and an essay by art philosopher Marie-Parra Aledo. 22 x 22 cm, 20 pages, ISBN: 978-2-908120-25-7
She writes 'As we cast our minds back to the earliest days of art-making, to mankind's remotest past as people and as creators, we encounter those immortal acts that perpetuate memory, acts which occurred before the mastery of form and color.... To engrave, to make a mark on matter, is thus to inscribe memory.... From simple gestures to the most innovative technologies, the print always resonates with visceral perception, with the vital rhythms of primordial gestures seen today as gestures of art, intimately bound up with the instinctive, living perception possessed in common by humans and animals, in search of memory.
'If art always stems from surprise, here, these images etched by Peter Miller, with the spontaneity of photography, yet undoubtedly drawn from careful consideration in response to direct observation of nature, give us the sense of an ideal beauty that we can never forget.'
With art we are connected with ancient memories and intimations of the future, a clarity of vision that suggested the title 'Clairvoyant'. The 14 prints in Clairvoyant are:
248. Morning Glory, 15 x 14 cm (6 x 6" ) photogravure etching, Black etching ink on Fabriano Tiepolo paper (2008) tending a terraced rice-field in Nepal
285. Broth of Life , 20 x 26 cm (8 x 10" ) photogravure etching, Warm Black etching ink on Kyokushi washi (2012) kombu (kelp) harvest at Erimo, Hokkaido
273. Catch of the Day. 26 x 17 cm (10 x 7" ) photogravure etching, Carbon Black etching ink on Somerset paper (2011) Seascapes Series Gué rand, Bretagne, France
278. Second Spring 35 x 26 cm (14 x 10" ) photogravure etching, Black etching ink on Kyokushi washi (2011) cherry blossoms at Yoshino-san
245. Bramble 7 13 x 18 cm (5 x 7" ) photogravure etching, Carbon black etching ink on Fabriano Tiepolo paper (2008)
224. Swirl. 16 x 12 cm (6 x 5" ) photogravure etching, Carbon black etching ink on Kyokushi washi (2006) Iwate Prefecture, Japan
230. Pentagram ? 26 x 20 cm photogravure etching, Cool Black etching ink on Paperki and Kyokushi washis (2006)
258. Vanished Stars. 18 x 13 cm (7 x 5" ) photogravure etching, Carbon black etching ink on Fabriano Tiepolo paper (2009) lotus blossoms, Norway
272. Beyond the Pale Glow 22 x 17 cm (9 x 7" ) photogravure etching, Carbon black etching ink on Kyokushi washi (2011) Katsura Rikyu Imperial Villa, Kyoto
196. Roofwork. 27 x 22 cm (11 x 9" ) photogravure etching, Warm black etching ink on Lana Gravure paper (2005) the thatchers' art in UNESCO World Heritage Site Shirakawa Village
236. Grainwaves. 20 x 26 cm (8 x 10" ) photogravure etching, warm black etching ink on Fabriano Tiepolo paper (2007) a cascade of terraced fields, Nepal Dreamscapes Pastoral Series
254. Breath of Life, 35 x 22 cm (14 x 9" ) photogravure etching, Orient Blue etching ink on Fabriano Tiepolo paper (2009) wind in reeds, Norway
282. Cote Sauvage, 18 x 26 cm (7 x 10" ) photogravure etching, Payne's Gray and Carbon Black etching inks on Kyokushi washi this was where Gaugain lived before Tahiti
265. Bygones, 16 x 12 cm (6 x 5" ) photogravure etching, Carbon black etching ink on Fabriano Tiepolo paper (2009) lotus leaves, Finland
Clairvoyant may be ordered online for $16, 1,800 Yen, or 15 Euros, including postage, by clicking the Order button below. Or please send a message to the address below, indicating how many you would like and the address to send them to. Gift orders are also accepted (please indicate the ship-to address and any note you would like to add). Orders will be filled as received while supplies last.
Dappled Things, published in 2013, pairs the poetry of Robin Chapman with the photogravures of Peter Miller -- 23 of each. For more information, and to purchase the book, please visit the Dappled Things page.
Both books together may be purchased for a special price.
To order the Clairvoyant book together with an original photogravure etching of Morning Glory, please visit 'Venues'.